What is TRAX?
Trax is a simple, intuitive and yet powerful data presentation tool from IHS which is now being rolled-out to IHS Screen Digest clients. It features real-time interactive data charting, multi-currency and multi-language support, single-click export to Excel and 'on-the-fly' data calculations among many other features.
Which IHS Screen Digest services are available?
Services with a TRAX tab on the main dashboard are currently available. We are planning to launch Trax for many more IHS Screen Digest services.
What about the existing spreadsheets?
The services with a Trax version will continue to be available in the old spreadsheet format, and will continue to be updated as before.
Introduction to TRAX
Services are selected in the drop-down box 'Research Area' (1).
Services can be found quickly by typing part of the name in the keyword search box.
Clicking on a service name in this drop-down will open the Trax version.
All metrics that are available for the selected service are listed in the Select Category box (2); the data and chart displayed on this page as default is the first item in this list.
Multiple metrics can be selected simultaneously by holding down the Cntr key. Up to two metrics will be displayed on the chart.
Metrics with a monetary value such as revenues, average sales price etc can be displayed in one of the following currencies: US dollar, euro, Japanese yen, Chinese yuan and British pound.
The currency can be selected via the 'Exchange Rate' box (3).
Date ranges can be selected by clicking and dragging over values in the 'Show Time Periods' box (4).
Multiple and non-contiguous years can be selected by holding the Cntr key. Quarters and months will also appear in the 'Show Time Periods' box whenever the data is available.
Splitting and filtering data
An IHS Screen Digest service in Trax is effectively a giant cube of data which can by rotated, filtered and transformed using the 'Show Column' and 'Set Filters' boxes. When a service is first opened, the whole 'cube' is displayed. For most IHS Screen Digest services, this means the sum of the selected metric for ALL countries available.
To split this data out in a particular dimension, eg, by country or by format, select a value in the 'Show Columns' box (5). More than one dimension (eg, by country AND by format) can be applied by holding the Cntr key and selecting multiple items. Trax will even chart the data with multiple dimensions selected.
To filter data within a particular dimension, eg, to show company market shares in only Asia Pacific, or to show operator rankings of only digital subscribers, then select the items in the 'Set Filters' box (6). These can also be selected by using Cntr for multiple values, and Cntr Shift for a range of values.
To clear filters, click on the 'x' above the box/es you are filtering on. To clear ALL filters, click on the 'x' next to the 'Set Filters' heading. Filter boxes with a large number of values have a search icon next to the title, which launches a check box tool for multi-selecting values.
Different types of charts can be selected using the drop-down list above the chart itself. The charts available are:
1. Column (default). Good for displaying simple data sets.
2. Stacked Column. Good for displaying data splits which together add up to a total - eg, revenue split by region, subscribers split by platform.
3. 100% Column. Good for showing the evolution over time of the relative importance of the various components of a markets, the rise and fall of technologies, business models and company shares.
4. Line. Good for showing comparisons for metrics that do not add up in the dimension they are split, eg, average prices by format, penetration rates by country.
5. Pie Chart. Pie charts are not available on the drop down, but are presented as the default chart when a single Time Period is selected. Good for showing market shares by company or technology during a single year.
Several derived calculations are available by checking the boxes in the heading bar of the Data section (8). These are:
1. Percent Change. Shows the period-on-period change in values for all periods selected in 'Show Time Periods'.
2. Percent of Total. Share of the total market taken by each split. Good for showing company and technology market shares.
3. Compound Growth Rate. The average growth rate between the first and last time period selected.
4. Rank. Sorts the values in order of size (largest to smallest) in the last time period seleted, and gives rank order for all years selected. Useful for showing subscriber rankings, or displaying countries by market size.
Export data to Excel
To export the data into Excel, click 'Download Results' (9). The data will download in three tabs: the table, the chart, and details of the selection made.
Any comments or suggestions about IHS Screen Digest services in Trax are gratefully received. Please click on the 'feedback' link at the top right hand corner of the screen.